Wednesday, May 2, 2007

The Class Presentations


The individual presentations so far have been delightful. I am reminded again how much the past is in the present when I realize that our class has indeed imitated Ovid in its vast variety of style and subject matter. Even Melissa and Brian who chose an identical topic, scapegoats, took such varied approaches to the subject that both presentations were entertaining and informative. I wonder how much gender made the difference or if it was so different because of interest and experience? They were both very well spoken too.


It is interesting to realize how much of ourselves and our individual experiences and ideas color our learning. So far we have had presentations from Z to J; everything from Ashley's haunting original poem, to dancing, storytelling, and mime. We have heard carefully researched and analysed reports and general but memorable and entertaining responses to specific topics. We have discussed movies, science fiction, rock music, and psychology.


Our class, as we continue our presentations, can serve a mini culture that demonstrates how much the classical literature affects our daily lives. We will have yet another concrete example of the past in the present.


I will be sad for this class to end. I made friends, especially with those in my group, and others who sat near me in class. I appreciate all the sharing and learning that I gained, not only from Dr. Sexson and the reading, but also from all of the members of the class. I am grateful for what I have learned, and I won't soon forget the major roles that classical literature play in my life.

No comments: